A luxurious retention of a classic Tuscan design from
The central motif of our all new Majolica Leone features the
renown “Leone di Montelupo” (The Montelupo’s Lion) that, surrounded
by its heraldic stemma, has been for centuries the “emblems” of the
“Montelupo Fiorentino” area, where the original Tuscan Majolica are
manufactured since the XV Century.
The “Leone di Montelupo” insignia is encircled
by traditional medieval scroll works, and the gorgeous red
surrounding it the is known as Rosso di Montelupo, that derives its
name from the mysterious red pigment employed in its decoration
since the medieval era.
Montelupo Fiorentino is the center of the
production of Florentine majolica, located just on the outskirts of
Florence and the world known Chianti region.
Montelupo was founded at the end of the Early Middle Ages with the
construction of a castle.
The Florentine Republic, which took over the territory in 1204,
rebuilt and enlarged the original military settlement.